A community centre right in the heart of Shipley
The Kirkgate Centre is a busy and ambitious organisation serving Shipley.
We are a registered charity and a registered company.
Most importantly, we are a membership organisation. Members of the Kirkgate Centre own the organisation – they have the power to call meetings, elect trustees and become trustees themselves. Membership is free to anyone living in the Shipley area. Our over-arching aim is to improve the quality of life for our local community. Some of the ways we do this include:
- encouraging and supporting our community to understand and act on the things that affect us all – both positive and negative
- strengthening our sense of community
- developing the confidence a skills in our community to challenge what we don’t like and create more of what we do
- developing and improving sustainable resources run by and for our community
- supporting our community’s local economy
- supporting those most vulnerable and in need
We also recognise that a strong Shipley community needs a strong local economy, and support community organisations and local people setting up local trading projects and business ideas.